Wednesday 26 October 2011

Balancing christainity and work

I was to raise a payment claim for one supplier that did a job for us. My boss had signed the claim form and i was waiting for the head of accounts to append his signature before i take to the paying cashier. My boss suddenly called me back asking if i had gotten the 2nd signature, ignorantly, i said no. He then instructed me to add 30 thousand naira to the actual amount to be paid out to the supplier. Because, according to him, we  were owing another supplier who did something for us in the past. I wondered. Why do i have to raise payments for the 2 suppliers in 1 when i can raise the other supplier's payment seperately. i wondered. I then went to ask one of my collegues why we had not paid the other supplier who did something for us about 4 months ago. My colleague looked at me funny saying we had long since paid the guy. That was when it dawned on me (yeah i am slow, i know) that my boss just wanted the 30k for himself and was using me as a foot soilder to get it! If u see this boss eh, BIG BOYYY. With swag and all. Why will he want to steal 30k 'koro koro' like this??? Didnt his tiny brain tell him it will take me less than 5mins to find out that the 'supplier' he wanted to pay had been paid already?
How i go do na? An order is an order. I waka go accounts go give the claim. I was asked why the amount had changed from what it was yesterday. I confided in one of the accountants. This accountant is a pastor in his church. After i told him what i noticed, he just shook his head in shame and sorrow. All he said to me was 'am i really a pastor'? I asked him what he meant. He was like all the corruption and theft by senior officers in the company all pass through his table and he gets to know about them, but that he neither speaks up nor does he do anything. He says he knows he is partaking in their sin even though he isnt partaking in their booty (stolen loot) He was just lamenting, asking what he could do as his conscience was killing him. Even the head of accounts is also a BIGGG thief! Siphoning money into phony things and this guy knows all about it. Thing is, it now looks like the account head, seeing that he cannot get this pastor guy to join in, is trying to frustrate him out of the system.
How do u balance the teachings of your faith with what is going on in the work place??? Do u up and leave each time u see atrocities being committed? Or do u speak up risking everything??? Cos as far as we can tell, the MD should have been smelling a rat. Why he has chosen not to do anything about it in this work place beats the crap out of me.

I am so sorry for my long absence, i have been tackling one challenge after the other in this office.Hardly keeping up with the crisis that seems to be ensuing on a daily basis.
Men!!! K'o easy ra ra

5 comments:

  1. Hm! This is a hard one. On the outside it's easy to say that you'll either report the situation or resign but on the inside, when you look at the odds and employment situation in the country it's hard to throw everything away and depend solely on God. All i can say is, pray about it and do what God tells you 'cause condoning sin is a sin in itself. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! that's really a toughie! I dont know what to say o

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmmm, really a though one. maybe the accountant should tell the MD or something, if not then well...then he would have to continue playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and Give unto God what is God's

    If you quit each time a job challenges your faith, you will end up leaving most jobs

    You have three options: Tell the MD OR Quit OR Turn a blind eye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will take naija mum's 3rd option if it were me - just turn a blind eye! cos truth is, we see atrocities in one form or the other each and everyday - EVERYWHERE!!! You cant tackle ALL of them. just dont partake, thats all. and if u can, help the people you can help not to partake too.

    ReplyDelete